In this article, we will let you know about how to copyright a book in India and how a book can be protected by copyright. The process of copyright a book in India may be easy but the nature of protection of the copyright is complex. An author before publishing a book looking at copyright registration.
How a book can be protected By Copyright
It means how copyright protects a book. By the copyright, an author is too safe & protect a work. Copyright stops the bookstores, making copies and then selling them to consumers without the permission of its author. Because the customers are not only buying the book, they also purchased the author’s intellectual property, the story of that book, the characters mentioned in it and all the setting related to it.
On the nature of the book has depends on the nature of copyright. For example, in a phonebook has very little copyright material. In it is a simple list of facts. While in a romance novel has many numbers of copyright material like additional pages of the book, copyright can extend to the order of the Plot, characters of that specific story in it or elements of the broader world that it creates.
How to copyright a book in India
To get the full benefit of copyright for a book, you will have to register your copyright. A constructive notice created by its registration and that constructive notice is very much important for an owner of the copyright.
The process of registration of copyright is easy and compared to other forms of intellectual property protection, inexpensive.
Following are some few steps of the process of how to copyright a book in India
Filling the Application
In the first step, an applicant will have to fill the application along with the prescribed fee of the copyright application. The application will be submitted either in DD/IPO. After the application filed, a diary number will be generated and issued to the applicant.
Examination of application
After filed the application, there are a minimum 30 days for analysis, recording any objections that may come up against the copyright application.
A. In case of no objection against the copyright application:-
The application goes ahead for scrutinization by an examiner of authority. The scrutiny gives rise to two options :
- In case of disagreement found during scrutiny, a letter of disagreement is sent to the applicant. On the basis of reply from the applicant, the registrar conducts a hearing of the stated disagreement row. Once the disagreement is sorted during the hearing, the extracts of the some are sent to the applicant for him/ her to register the copyright.
- In the case of zero disagreements, the copyright application fulfills all essential criterion required for the copyright. The application is then given the nod to go ahead with the registration of the same. (If the application is not approved, then the applicant received a letter of rejection.)
B. In case of an objection filed:-
In case, when an applicant faced with an objection, the following procedures take place:
- Authorities send out two letters to these concerned parties, trying to convince them to take back the objection. After requisite replies from the third party, the registrar conducts a hearing. It depends on whether the registrar accepts the reply, the procedure will take shape.
- If the application is accepted means that the objection has been rejected. The application will go ahead for scrutinization by an examiner of authority. This security gives rise to two options like above of disagreement.
- If the application is rejected It is the end of copyright procedure if the applicant receives any rejection letter regarding the application.
As can be seen from the above all steps, the registration fully depends on the registrar. Once everything is cleared from the side of registrar’s end the applicant received and owner of that copyright can legally exercise all rights of copyright.
Copyright is basically, a legal right which has been provided to the creators of literature, dramatic, musical and artistic work and even the producer’s films, sound recording, broadcasting on radio, television and published edition. All these are protected by the copyright.
Required information for the registration of copyright
- Personal Information:- Name, address, and nationality of the applicant. Nature of the applicant whether he is owner and representative of that particular application.
- Nature of work:- Class & description, the title of the work. The language of the work should be mention in the application.
- Date of Publication:- If possible date of publication in interval magazines should be mention.
Recommend: How to Copyright a Logo in India
Recommend:- How to Copyright a Website in India
Recommend:- How to Copyright a Song in India
I hope above all information regarding how to copyright a book in India will help you register your book copyright in India. You can protect your amazing story, characters, and information safe. Nobody can copy your skills. Copyright only protects the unique way you expressed thing in your work. It means copyright law protects the ” expression of the idea”.